Friday, March 26, 2010

The Nature of Diamonds - The Milky Way


My Favorite, Truly A Work of Art

I saw a picture of  The Milky Way necklace designed by Toronto artist, Dieter Huebner, before I went to the exhibit and had marveled at its sheer beauty and extraordinary sculptural design.  However, this turned out to be another case of having an unexpectedly magnified impression when seeing something in person. I had imagined myself attempting to pull off wearing something like this at an elegant fundraising event perhaps, but when I saw it, I knew the whole scenario would have to be reconsidered because for one thing, I had the scale all wrong - the dimensions were so much more sumptuous than what I had visualized in my head!


The exhibit portrayed this piece as capturing the look of billowing fabric - a very apt description indeed!  It contains exactly 2000 diamonds on a platinum grid and won the award at the De Beers Diamonds International Awards 2000 Exhibition in Paris for creative commemoration of the new millennium.

Huebner noted the design is a nod to nature and to the stars.


Yum~!

No comments:

Post a Comment