Friday, November 20, 2009

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

I am currently reading Good Omens, co-written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, a story of the coming of the apocalypse. It is extremely irreverent in a satirically humorous way so I am enjoying it very much. On pages 308-309 of the paperback edition, there is some discussion between Death and the other three famed Four Horsemen.

War, Famine and Pollution are abjectly disappointed with their Armageddon-catalyzing roles which apparently have been diminished so embarrassingly when for thousands of years they had envisioned something quite spectacularly dramatic and exciting. As War points out, Albrecht Dürer's woodcut of The Four Horsemen did not depict them as simply pushing a button here and perhaps twiddling with a wire there. As can be evidenced from the image above, War is indeed correct.

I was introduced to Albrecht Dürer's work by an art historian, the instructor of two wonderfully illuminating humanities classes.





This is Dürer's self-portrait in which he looks rather like a handsome yet somewhat pensive rock star, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Terri, I love Gaiman. If you like this book, I highly suggest you read everything else this man has written and then come with me when I stalk him ;). Also you should join Goodreads. A website where you post all you've read and intend to read. He has a blog there as well.
    Great job on this blog!
    Corey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love him, too and have read quite a bit of his work, and follow his blog/journal and his Twitter account. I recommended American Gods to ET a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete